I’m excited to announce the release of a book I’ve been working on for about 6 months now, and first started in 2010.
It’s a compilation of every letter Warren Buffett wrote to the shareholders of Berkshire Hathaway. I first created it a few years ago for myself and friends. Last year I got Buffett’s endorsement — plus a few non-public letters — to publish the book for the benefit of fans and shareholders of Berkshire.
Here is the official page with all the details. There you can find a more detailed description, plus some sample pages and a chart detailing the performance of Berkshire’s insurance operations. (For any programmers out there, the chart was created with D3. You can check out the development version on GitHub.)
Features of the book:
- Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder letters from 1965 to 2012 (706 pages), including the 11 earliest letters not available on Berkshire’s website
- Tabulated letter years so you can easily flip to the desired letter
- Topics index
- Company index
- Person index
- Charts of:
- The growth in Berkshire’s book value and market price relative to benchmarks
- Insurance float and performance
- The operating businesses of Berkshire
The entire book is paginated, and has easy-to-flip-to labels for each letter’s year.
It is available for pre-order now. The first batch will be sold at the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting on May 4 in the convention center. The rest of the copies will be available on Amazon on May 7.
- The obvious next step is to publish a digital version, easily readable on iPads or potentially Kindles. This is normally an easy transfer, but that’s not the case with this book due to the many tables that have to be converted. So no timeline on this but it will be forthcoming.
- A book of letters to the partners of Buffett Partnership, Ltd., Buffett’s hedge fund he ran from 1957 to 1970. This will be a similar format to the Berkshire book, with indexes, page numbers, etc.
3 thoughts on “Berkshire Hathaway Letters to Shareholders”
Hope you could release the letters to the partners of Buffett Partnership soon, quite interested
Thanks for compiling all the letters and make it into a book, it’s long overdue. Bought it at Amazon.com and the ebook too yesterday. I enjoyed reading the Buffett Partneship Letters too but the copy from web part of them are unreadable hopefully you able to find the better version from Mr Buffett himself. Can’t wait for the next ‘book’. Great job! One more question, why I can’t buy it on Amazon.ca? (Canada)
Unfortunately I don’t have much control over any international versions. Completely new books need to be printed with a new publisher. This may happen in a few places like China and Brazil but don’t think it will happen in Canada. So I hope you managed to get the book from the U.S. site with not much problem!